Saturday, October 17, 2009

Concert announcements catching my eye - Oct 09

Browsing NOW magazine and a few concerts caught my eye that are not "hot" tickets per se, but are for bands whose music I like, the venue seems a good fit and I'd probably go if I had unlimited budget and lots of free evenings:
  • Matisyahu - Phoenix, Nov 30th - Acidic Jewish hip hop - yes, you read that right
  • Nitzer Ebb - Mod Club, Dec 1 - yes, das man ist bak (of Murderous fame)
  • Devendra Banhard, Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Nov 27th - haven't heard much, but Seahorse from a few years back was brilliant - psych retro at it's best
  • Junior Boys - Lee's, Nov 6th - Hamilton Ontario amooth stylers
  • Bill Bragg, Tues Nov 7th - a few mates going, working class hero always has a lot to say
  • Sloan - Dakota Tavern Oct 19th War Child benefit and photo exhibit - good reasons to see a good rock band
  • The XX - Mod Club Dec 2nd - worldwide tour date for alt chart toppers with lots of rave reviews, love their complex mellow sound
  • Metric - Massey Hall Oct 20th and 21st - sold out, but likely worth scalper tickets, one of Canada's best alternative bands
And a couple that I'm going to:
  • Thievery Corporation - Kool Haus Oct 23rd - smooth grooves, complex urban sounds and exotic vocal varieties, I saw them at the front side of the tour in the Spring and it was a highlight of the year, expecting similar set list enhanced by better looking date
  • Champion - Mod Club Nov 27th - great band, better performers, best venue in the city, $15 tickets - no brainer

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I love the blog! I haven't been online much lately and have lots to catch up on but wanted to add a couple of concerts that I would love to go to, also given unlimited time and budget:

    David Gray - Massey Hall, October 26th - distinctive voice & beautiful piano playing make him one of my favourites.

    Noah and the Whale - Horseshoe Tavern, October 31st - A British indie folk band with a unique sound.

    Florence & The Machine - The Mod Club, November 2nd - A relatively new find for me, they've been getting lots of play around here.

    Dropkick Murphys - The Sound Academy, November 19th - This celtic punk band has been a long time favourite of mine although sadly, I'm just too old for the mosh pit now...

    ReplyDelete